Monday, July 26, 2010

So, I have PCOS. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
For some reason, my case seems to be warped compared to others. Yes, I have multiple cysts that form and disappear on both ovaries. But, I also have ones that never disappear, grow, and eventually develop into tumours. These get to be quite painful. I've had one grow to be the size of a football. No, not the round one.
So far, I've had 8 operations to remove these, and I'm looking at more, because they can't find a way to control them. For most women with this disease, they put them on the Pill, and it works quite well. For me, the extra hormones just make them grow faster.
I'm overweight, and struggle immensely to lose it. I eat right, and eat 6 meals a day. I exercise. But nothing I do is good enough. It drives me up the wall.
I have another at the moment, and it's large enough that it's pressing on my hip and causing me pain when I walk. The doctors are telling me this time they want to remove my ovary. I've refused this so far because I want children. Yes, I know it's rare, very rare, for a female Dom to want to have kids. But I do. Always have. I want to be a better mother than my own was to me.
For me to have children, it now comes down to IVF. I have an infitisemally small chance of falling pregnant naturally. And IVF is expensive. For me, I don't have private health insurance. So, it'd cost around $5000 and upwards per try. And they say it takes around three tries, if not more. Where in hell is someone working for minimum wage supposed to come up with that? The government gives handouts to 16 year olds that fall pregnant without trying, but they can't give working families that desperately want children any help? Grrr, maybe one day I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment